The roofers from local company are on location. They were booked when it comes to 6th April, but the rain had delayed a previous job so that they weren’t in a position to start on our flat roofs (we now have 4 flat roofs!) until Monday 10th.
I’m glad they called us about the delays the day before, since there isn't a phone at the house and I also apparently the only person in the united kingdom not to ever own a mobile phone :-) (never needed one) so would have been in the house the other day waiting for non-existent roofers, that may have been fun (so thanks for the phone call Rooftec, appreciated).
Roofers do glass fiber flat roofing that will be guaranteed for 50yrs that will be much, superior to anything else we looked over, next best was around 25 years guarantee, however with a standard felt flat roof we’d be lucky if it lasted 15 years, probably a lot less since we are within walking distance of the sea (salt floating around). Then when the task is completed we have to have a watertight fiberglass flat roof for a long time in the future.
Interestingly the company quote for all four flat roofs was lower than some of the quotes for standard felt roofing, one roofer did not quote for the leading dormer window (which is two windows in one single, so around 5M in total) also it was still higher priced than that which we are paying company and therefore bloke did not include replacing boards if required (that would be extra!!). Therefore we've upgraded the quality of our flat roofs to glass fiber for no more than a standard felt roof.
Anyway, a couple of roofers arrived early Monday morning, they started with all the large flat roof throughout the kitchen/dining room extension (it is a two-story extension with kitchen/diner in the bottom as well as 2 bedrooms above). This is exactly what it looked like ahead of the roofers started any work (image below).
They scraped the old felt off the roof to see the state of the boards below, if the boards were damaged they'd replace them, or even they would overboard with sterling OSB boards. The stripped boards looked good with no signs and symptoms of water damage and mold or anything untoward.
Therefore the roofers over-bordered with new Sterling OSB boards. Quite happy that the original OSB boards aren't damaged because it means just a little extra insulation having it over-boarded.
They'd cut the original wood sides of the roof flat (so that the roof was completely flat) so they really could add pre-fabricated fiber-glass molded edging (not sure what it really is called). This gave the leading edge, left edge and also the joins with the rest of your home including underneath the window I happened to be using the photos from (while you consider the image below) an increasing lip, so rainwater can only flow through the right edge to the guttering.
After which it they coated the roof in fiberglass matting with a few sorts of polyester resin (see above). This makes the roof watertight, yet not pretty to look at.
As it was far too late to start another flat roof that day (this is on Monday) and additionally they needed to wait for the resin to set before they are able to put the decorative coating within the waterproofed roof they called it each day.
On Tuesday morning roofers was on-site and already working by the time we arrived. It was a really windy day (and rained later), so they didn’t would you like to start the 3 remaining roofs (it really is a 4 story high building!), so that they added rendering strips (the home walls are rendered) towards the roof they worked on Monday so we can blend the rendering in later. Forgot to take a photograph on Tuesday (doh!), so will get that on Friday once I go next.
Surely got to obtain the car MOT’d Thursday since it ran out the other day (I completely forgot!) so can not go tomorrow (needed to work today, Wednesday as well)!.
I have to say so far I'm very impressed with the work, therefore, the roofers, three roofers from Rooftec thus far (very friendly and polite). On Tuesday I happened to be showing one of those the internal damage due to water leakage etc and was discussing possible difficulties with the sides for the dormer windows (two of the next three roofs are on dormer windows) and though it is not covered by the quote we got, he said they could add some side panels to avoid further problems, which will be great because it saves me another job and possible expense.
Can't wait to observe how they have got on with the remaining roofs and can post about any of it when I have the time and images.
Many thanks for checking out my blog. My name is Joseph Carroll, and I work as a software developer for a mid-size company. This website exists primarily as a channel to study from other people and share my experience. When I have free time I made the things myself.